Sikkim is a landlocked state divided into four districts –
All of which can be easily reached on four wheels. Given the high altitude and the rocky topography of the state, traveling via a taxi or a reserved vehicle is always the safest, comfortable and most preferred option. Taxi services in Sikkim are ample, but it always helps to be a little prepared and informed by knowing about the best options you have in hand. So before you pack your bags to go witness Sikkim’s unfiltered beauty in person, read about the most popular Sikkim taxi services that can fit your budget and preferences.
Nearest Airports to Sikkim –
- Pakyong Airport, Pakyong, Sikkim. (35 km from the capital of Gangtok)
- Bagdogra Airport, Siliguri, West Bengal. (120 km from the capital of Gangtok)
Once you arrive at the airport, every destination you will further travel to, will be in a taxi or a reserved vehicle. They can be instantly hired from the airport premises. Or your travel planner will have a booked taxi waiting for you to take you to your designated hotel or decided touring location as per the itinerary. All of the four districts of Sikkim are accessible by road.
TOP SIKKIM TAXI SERVICE PROVIDERS –
- Sikkim Car, F0501, City Centre, Siliguri, West Bengal, India
- Sikkim Cab, Bagdogra, Bihar More, Siliguri
- Sikkim Taxi Service, Mia Garage Bldg., Hill Cart Road, Siliguri
- Sikkims Taxi, SP Golai, Arithang, Gangtok-737101, Sikkim
SIKKIM TAXI FARE LIST :
|SL.||ROUTE||REGULAR 4 PAX (RUPEES)||STANDARD 8 PAX (RUPEES)||LUXURY 6 PAX (RUPESS)|
|1||gangtok to |
darjeeling taxi fare
|2||gangtok to to Pelling taxi fare||3000-3300||3300-3500||3700-4000|
|3||gangtok to ravangla taxi fare||2000-2500||2000-2500||2500-3000|
|4||gangtok to kalimpong taxi fare||2500-2700||2800-3000||3000-3200|
|5||gangtok to pakyong taxi fare||1200-1500||1800-2200||2300-2600|
|6||gangtok to njp/ixb/siliguri taxi fare||2200-2500||2500-3000||3000-3500|
*Taxi fare is subjected to regular fluctuations in the rate during peak and off seasons, so kindly update yourself with the current rates by contacting the agency you are planning to hire.
TIPS TO REMEMBER WHILE HIRING A SIKKIM TAXI SERVICE –
- Only taxis registered with the Government of Sikkim is permitted to drive you around Sikkim for local sightseeing. Taxis registered from any other state are only allowed to offer a pick up and drop service to you at the starting and end of the tour.
- Only heavy duty vehicles like Maruti Gypsy, Sumo and Commander Vehicles are allowed in the Nathu La route.
- Only certified travel agents affiliated to TAAS are allowed to ferry you to Nathu La on registered taxis.
- Overloading of the vehicles is strictly prohibited. Sumo and Commander Vehicles should not exceed ten passengers, and Maruti van shouldn’t exceed more than four passengers.
- Know that the taxi services in Sikkim cannot overcharge you while you are reserving a vehicle or traveling on a shared vehicle. To prevent overcharging, make sure you ask for a ticket while you’re traveling from NJP/Bagdogra to Gangtok.
- The rate limit it a hundred rupees per person in a shared taxi and up to one thousand rupees per one way trip in a reserved vehicle.
- Parking in random places in Sikkim isn’t allowed. You need to reserve a parking place in advance for the vehicle or have your tour operator do it. There are designated taxi stands throughout Sikkim for the purpose.
- Littering, spitting and using plastic in Sikkim are punishable offenses so kindly avoid doing so.
While searching for the best Taxi Service in Sikkim, look for facilities like–
- Timely pick and drop service
- Experienced, polite and local drivers
- Registered vehicles which are well serviced
- Proper identification formalities
- Constant customer assistance
- Reasonable rates
ENTRY PERMITS –
List of Protected Areas in Sikkim you cannot visit without a Permit –
- Tsomgo Lake
- Nathu La Pass
- Dzongri & Goechala Trek Route
- Singalila Trek Route
- Yumthang Valle
- Gurudongmar Lake
WHERE TO ISSUE THE INNER LINE PERMITS AND PROTECTED AREA PERMITS?
- Sikkim House, New Delhi – Panchsheel Marg, Chanakyapuri
- Office of Sikkim Nationalized Transport – Sevoke Road, Siliguri
- Sikkim House, Kolkata – 4/1 Middleton Street
- RangpoCheckpost – East Sikkim near Gangtok
- MelliCheckpost – Near South District, Sikkim
For more information on permits, visit– http://www.sikkimtourism.gov.in/Webforms/General/Default.aspx
CONDITIONS TO ISSUE A PERMIT-
- If you are a foreigner, you will not be granted access to these areas. However, you can tour through the rest of the Sikkim with an Inner Line Permit.
- If you are traveling in a personal vehicle, you will need to issue to a special permit can Inner Line Permit to tour the North District of Sikkim. The permit is issued by the Tourism Department of Sikkim.
- The permit is a sixty day pass which is required to tour through various locations within Sikkim. However, if you are a foreigner, you will not be granted any permit to visit the Nathu La borderline & the Yumthang Valley.
- The validity of the permit can be extended further to thirty days. For that, you need to visit the Foreign Registration Office at Tadong, which is 5 kilometers away from the capital of Gangtok
- Documents needed – Photo copies of your Passport, VISA, Driver’s License, PAN Card, and two passport sized photos of the applicant.
Have a safe journey!